Sunday, September 25, 2005

Blackpool!!!

Well, last night Jamie and I ventured out to the Lancashire seaside town of Blackpool. The idea was to have a stroll at the seaside and eat fish and chips on the prom. In reality it finished up like that but not without its drama before.
We were walking on the central pier, when we heard this terrible crying. We look around to see 4 children aged from 4 to 13 hanging on to their mother who was rolling around on the ground in a terrible way.
Eventually the 4 year old boy told me his daddy was a mean man and had kicked him in the mouth when he broke the door down to their house earlier in the day. His sister then went on to say that he was stalking them and they were all very scared to go home. The mother was terrified of Jamie and the male pier staff who came to try to help her, it took 20+ minutes to calm them all down so we could decide what to do. ( They had no coats, they hadn't eaten since breakfast and it was 9pm on a windy night on the coast!) Feeling helpless and unsure what to do I called the police who sent a team of 6 officers, ( and a female officer!) And off they went into the sunset, and off we went to get fish and chips!
What a wake up call!! What is beyond their sunset? How do they go about 'getting on'?
Life is so cruel for this family and for so many others... struggling to get on in life, dealing with crisis after crisis.
I suppose I realised, (yet again) that I am very fortunate, I have the life skills to interact with each other and to deal with 'stuff'.
When I moan about what life deals at me, maybe I should remember, Maria, Arlena, Nadine, Hayley and Jared, the family I met at Central Pier Blackpool.

No comments: