Tuesday, September 27, 2005

So glad the working day is over.

Today was one of the few days I have wondered why I bother teaching.
It was a struggle from the word go, but by 3.15 with only 15 minutes to go I looked out on the sea of 35 faces and just thought, " Why do I bother?"
I suppose I know the answer to my question but today was hard! I have 4 or 5 boys who just continually push boundaries and make wrong choices. I can't imagine them as 15 year olds. I look at them and hope that by Friday they realise the impact their behaviour has on me, their peers and their learning!
If I am a teacher then I teach. If they are learners, in my classroom they should learn.
Unfortunately I am not too sure if much learning went on today, but on a more positive note...
tomorrow is a new day and it is nearly the weekend! ( however it is the residential with them so there is no escaping them this Friday!) Roll on Christmas!

If you are interested in what they are supposed to be learning ( those 5 lovely boys who push me to every boundary possible,) check out my school website on...
http://www.st-marks.stockport.sch.uk/

1 comment:

hendricks said...

Julie Ann,
Days like the one you described remind me about some of the challenges that teaching always presents. It is September, I would like to bet that by Christmas those boys are on side, or at least in check. You are a gifted teacher, try not to lose sight of that this week.

Sara