Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What is it about football?

What is it about football that makes grown men turn into children? I was involved in my second argument in a week tonight during my Tuesday night football ritual. Am I starting to loose control of my temper, are people pushing me more than they used to or is it all just unnecessary tosh?
I was accused tonight of being 'petty' for telling 2 lads to stop arguing over a disputed goal. My take on it was 'who cares, let's just play on'. However, they continued to bicker and I continued to tell them to give it up. That's when the accusation came and made me boil up inside!!
I waited until the end of the game to explain to the accuser that criticising your team and yourself during a game is not being petty. However, arguing with someone on another team about whether a goal should stand or not is petty. His reply was he didn't need a lesson from me!


What am I turning into? I know these lads have a different attitude to the game than me. I was brought up on the back lawn with older players around me who encouraged a healthy attitude to critical team play. However, I am too verbal. Obviously this doesn't fit in to Tuesday night football (shame I've only noticed after 5 years of playing with them!).
I have confessed to Julie-Ann that I don't feel comfortable with how tonight went and have promised myself to be more positive than critical next week. It seems that I am finding it difficult to be a Christian role model whilst playing sport whole-heartedly (I was even wearing my Christians in Sport t-shirt underneath my drill top! What irony!).
Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

p.s. Any women out there who are currently dating.... a piece of advice - always check out your potential husband playing competitive sport because often that is when they show their true colours! (J-A says I used to be a nice boy!)

4 comments:

esty said...

You look so sad in that picture Jamie!
Don't beat yourself up too much - sounds like you were just trying to diffuse the situation, but they weren't having any of it.

Boys will be boys!

Esty :o)

Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Thankfully that picture was taken ages ago but found it's use last night when I was typing up the blog! I think I actually sent it to JA when she was in Belfast with Emily visiting her family.
I think I'm over the whole situation today!
J

sasha said...

*Derek, not Sandra speaking here*
Jamie -- take it from someone who has dealt with a footballing temper for years. The best thing to do is deck the lad. Don't bottle it up inside. Bop him one.

You can always apologise later, if the need arises. But in the meantime, you'll have established some "don't mess" rules.

Feels great, too.

Also, sounds like you had the right on your side, too. Nothing quite so good as righteous anger.

Sort him out.

sasha said...

Btw, you look green in that picture.