Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Feeling useful

School today was interesting for me (not often you hear me talking about school!). One of my former form group students turned up after school to see me!Her name is Helena Zuppinger (!) and she is currently in her second year at college. She had come to ask my advice about her choices when she left 6th form and in particular about Economics. She remembered that I had told them ages ago that I did an Economics degree even though I was a maths teacher. She was enjoying Economics and was considering taking this on at Uni.
We discussed Uni's to go to, the module break down and whether to have a gap year first or after. She even discussed the fact she wanted to do VSO as she was particularly interested in Developmental Economics as her dad had grown up in Argentina and she had been to visit a couple of times.
It was amazing how many parallels we seemed to share and I felt like I had plently to say and things for her to consider before making these choices. We spoke for about 40 minutes and it felt really good to think that I was being of some use to her in helping her shape her future decisions. It is not often in teaching that young people outwardly show if they are grateful for what you have done or can help them with. So today for me finished on a positive note that students DO hear what you have to say and on occasions DO ask you for advice!
Good luck Helena, you deserve it.

1 comment:

Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

I think you have just identified why you should not become a teacher!!!! I think on many occassions you would get the wrong message!!!
I never taught her and was just her form teacher for 2 years.
Once again, it was nice to feel useful.
J