Friday, October 21, 2005

Parents Evenings and Parenting



This week was my turn, yet again to fill my 34 sets or groups of parents in on how their children were doing now that they are in their last year of Primary education. The usual questions arise, do you think ...... needs a tutor? What level do you predict for Numeracy? What do you think of .... school? How can I make my child listen to me? I am trying the super nanny naughty chair what do you think? I can't seem to make.... listen to me can you help? I am getting the whole Kevin the teenager thing at home. What is he like at school? You know, just the usual.

But my last appointment at 7.25 on Wednesday was slightly different. It began with the usuals as I knew that this mum had just had her fourth daughter last year and I have taught her other three so we were discussing if I could last long enough in teaching to teach her last.
She then quickly remarked, "sure you will soon be teaching my grandchild!"
" What," I remarked, " you have a daughter older than C?"
" No, C is 20 weeks pregnant on Friday."

We then continued to chat, C is in Year 9 and 13 years old, she will be 14 by the time the baby is born in March. She is attending Stockport's pregnant girls school and has started her GCSEs early as she is so bright.
So what is so bright about getting pregnant at 13? ( especially as I have been trying for the past 14 months without success at 27 years old, but that is by the by)

Well, I have invited C and the new baby to come to school to talk about Sex Ed and life as a teenage mum, I await to hear if she wants to come.

It is amazing to think that 3 years ago C sat in my class and I taught her English, now she is learning about nappies, feeding and parenting. A real stark contrast and steep learning curve in such a short time.
Good luck C and all you teenage mums out there, your teachers still think of you and wonder what the future holds for you and your children.

3 comments:

Knights @ not so round table said...

It's hard to watch children having children. Parenting takes everything you've got...and some!

Matthew Francis said...

This is quite an amazing story, Julie Ann!

Matthew Francis said...

What I meant by "amazing" of course, was, "sad, shocking... and yet hopeful"