Monday, October 17, 2005

Grease is the Word.



Today, I took 41 children to a local theatre to see our feeder secondary school's production of Grease. I have to say when I as a child and teen I was never allowed to watch or listen to the music, and after today as I was squirming in my seat I now know why. One boy sitting next to me said, "what does, 'knocked up' mean? Mrs. McCulloch" another remarked as we were walking back to school that he thought it was wrong that the actors were pretending to smoke cigarettes. Well that was a moral lesson and a half.

The major thing that watching my ex pupils made me think was that, 'my goodness some of my pupils are in Year 10 now, singing and dancing their hearts out', and here I sit... their ex primary teacher remembering the feeling of being in my school productions. How weird!

Well I still think the music is great if the story line is a bit dodgy.

6 comments:

Mona said...

That is hilarious!! And would make me squirm in my seat too!

Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Well, they are only having their 11 birthday this academic year, so it goes to show that innocence is still possible in the last year of primary school!

Jenks said...

I haven't seen Grease either JA!

Knights @ not so round table said...

You didn't miss much. The made for TV & school productions I saw left me completely underwhelmed...Rosie

hendricks said...

Julie Ann, what did you tell him 'knocked up' meant? Grease is a totally overrated show, I agree.
By the way, the pics of FLP are brilliant!

Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

I explained that it was slang for her being pregnant when she hadn't expected it. Jake just nodded and said, "oh that's nice!"